How to make sofrito for Puerto Rican dishes

by nilda on August 12, 2011

Hello everyone and welcome to my site. I’m very excited to be doing these videos and showing you how I prepare my meals. I am constantly being asked if I could share my recipes with family and friends. So I decided there is no better to show you than through a video. Its important you understand everyone’s way of cooking is different from others. It all comes down to personal preference and taste. Trust me when I say anyone can cook and if you need help with anything, well that is why I am here, and that is to help you. I learned to make sofrito 20 years ago through my mother in law and let me tell you she is one awesome cook. Despite her teaching me, our foods for some reason taste different. Again she has her style and I have mine. What she taught me was the basics and that was all I needed.

Sofrito can be made in many ways and with different ingredients. I like to keep mine simple. The ingredients I use can be found basically in any grocery story. To make the Sofrito I make, you will need the following:

3 small cilantros or 2 big cilantros
2 green bell peppers
2 whole garlics (peeled)
1 medium onion

Once you’ve washed your cilantro, grab it from the middle twist and cut it in half. If you like you can use a cutting board and just cut it. Cut your green peppers and make sure you leave out the seeds. Wash your cut up peppers. Peel your garlic and cut up your onion. In a blender, again some people prefer to use a food processor, I prefer to use a blender, it just comes out different. Put a little bit of oil in your blender before you start mixing. You could use any kind of oil (canola, vegetable, olive oil) I have used them all. Oil is only needed to help get the mixture started, there is no need to add more. Once I have done this, I grab a little of everything and I begin mixing. My blender is set to chop, by the way, my blender is exactly 19 years old and I only use it for my Sofrito. Continue to add a little of everything. If you see that it is getting too high you can pour some out into your container, again not all of it, just some. Continue to blend the rest of your ingredients. Once you have mixed all your ingredients, pour the rest in your container. Some people separate them in ziploc bags and freeze them. When they are ready to a make meal, they pull out a bag and thaw it out. Remember you can cut this recipe in half if you only want to make a little. Because I am always cooking this amount is perfect for me.

If you have any questions regarding this video, feel free to ask me. I look forward to your feedback and to your questions.

From My Kitchen to Yours.

Nilda’s Kitchen- Latin Corner

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

Ivan August 12, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Thank you I found the this video very informative…looking for future videos.

Araceli Vargas August 12, 2011 at 11:02 pm

wow thanks for the sofrito recipe I can’t wait to try it, I love sofrito on different foods but haven’t found it in Michigan wow I can make my own woo hoo. By the way i am Emily’s sister :)

Nilda September 26, 2011 at 12:45 am

Hi Araceli. Sorry for my late reply. I am learning how to use this website. Glad you will be making this. Let me know how it comes out. Look forward to meeting you soon if not I will see you at the wedding. :)

ItsAmore August 13, 2011 at 12:00 am

can you post one day one with how a pr pernil is done

Nilda September 26, 2011 at 12:47 am

I sure will be making a video on how to cook pernil (lechon asado). Especially with the holidays around the corner, this will be a hit a dinner. :)

Michelle Andrade Morales August 13, 2011 at 2:29 am

Thank you now i could make homemade sofrito and my husband is going to love me more for my cooking.

Yvette Mercado October 22, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Unfortunately, I made the sofrito before i saw your video. But anyway i added the ajicitos dulce but when i smelled the ajicitos they didnt really smell like anything. So went i mixed everything together, the sofrito taste a bit bitter. Is that ok or can it be that the ajicitos were bitter. Does that make sense? How can i fix this sofrito now? or should i just throw it away?

nilda October 23, 2012 at 12:40 am

Hi Yvette

Can you tell me exactly how many ajicitos you put into your mix. Ajicitos are normally not bitter that’s why I ask. One way you can attempt to fix it is by adding more cilantro and onion to it. Onion can fix a lot of problems. If you put a good chunk in the mix, you might have to consider discarding it. I look forward to your response.

nilda October 23, 2012 at 12:43 am

Hi Yvette

Lois December 10, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Hi Nilda, I love your dishes. Can you please post more? A pernil would be nery helpful. Also, would you be able to make something like lasagna for us to see? Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Tatiana December 17, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Hi Nilda,
I loved watching your videos. I grew up seeing my mother cook all sorts of traditional dishes, unforunately I never really learned how to cook. I couldnt even make rice without it being undercooked or super mushy!! Imagine a Latina that can’t make rice.
Now that Im living on my own for the first time I have to cook for my boyfriend and our daughter. I would call my mom and she would tell me what to do for each meal, but it didnt always work out for me. Being able to watch your videos has helped so much. I’m able to use the information she gives me and I can actually watch you as you’re cooking!
Thank You!!